Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rainy Afternoons, Spaghetti, and new Pebble Road Series


Well, after a few glorious warm days, we are back to cold and rain, so no gardening this weekend. But, my camelia is blooming anyway - yay! I thought maybe I wouldn't get any flowers this year because of the terrible cold back last month. I think it did kill a lot of the buds, but its trying its best now.

It's just as well I can't get out in the garden just yet - I'm too busy making jewelry. I got a call from another gallery this morning that had my work recommended to them from one of my current galleries. I was thrilled to be able to put my work in another gallery - this one is in downtown Chattanooga - definitely going to have to do a road trip to visit, as I love the arts district there. And I should so not be on the computer now, but down in my studio working!!

With the cold and rain outside, I decided I would cook a bit of warm comfort food. I made up a meat version of my old standby vegetarian spaghetti. This recipe goes back to one of the first friends I made when I moved to Tennessee from Chicago back in 1980. I joined a hiking group, and met my friend Jan.

We used to make this spaghetti (with tofu instead of meat) in her kitchen while planning our next group backpacking trip at her kitchen table. Backpacking is one of the reasons I moved to Tennessee in the first place - I really need to make time to go hiking again! I found this list of trails today, and I've only been on 12 of these hikes. Alum Cave Bluffs is a definite favorite. Time to dig out my old pictures I think. Anyway, I've now had a late lunch of yummy homemade sauce over sprouted wheat spaghetti (really great flavor - try it, you'll love it!). I finally wrote down how I make it - here's the recipe:

Cheryl's Spaghetti

1 lb lean hamburger or firm tofu
3 carrots, peeled
1 large sweet onion
2 medium cloves garlic

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 can whole peeled tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste

1 1/2 tablesppons oregano
1 tablespoon basil
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 rounded teaspoon sugar

shredded fresh parmesan

1. Coarsely chop onion and carrot, add olive oil to warm dutch oven and saute until onions are translucent.

2. Add hamburger or tofu, saute until hamburger is no longer pink. Add oregano, basil, black pepper, salt and sugar.

3. Put garlic through a garlic press, add to pot. Add tomatoes and tomato paste - make sure to chop the peeled tomatoes into small pieces.

4. Let simmer slowly for 1 hour (or however long you have, less is okay). Serve over whole wheat pasta, and garnish with shredded parmesan.



Now I'm ready to put in a productive afternoon and evening at the bench. Thought I'd show you the latest little goodies I finished up while I was working on my Etsy orders.


This is a new series of sterling silver 'every day wear' pieces that have been textured and oxidized. I'm calling the series "Pebble Road" - a pair of mini hoops, and a matching wrapped oh pendant. Next is a set of stacking bangles, I think. Sorry no pictures yet of the Mountain Sunrise ring - finishing it today, I think, unless I get distracted by something else, ha ha.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'll be back later with the Saturday Night at 1000 Markets finds, unless I stay down in the studio too late again. In that case, I'll see you all tomorrow morning!

3 comments:

  1. The flower is gorgeous; the spaghetti looks yummy and I love your new line of jewelry...great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw on Twitter you have two new gallery requests - WAY to GO!!!!!
    Nic x
    P.S> Tasty Recipie

    ReplyDelete