Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Rings and Roses and Hammers



I love roses, especially my Moje Hammarberg rugosa rose, which is considered an "antique rose". She isn't fussy at all like the hybrid teas, and smells positively heavenly. I keep her just outside my back door, so I can visit often. I love the old-fashioned look of the blooms, and will probably end up making a million of them in silver and other metals. This is my second one, and I've already got another on the bench, along with some rose-petal pendants, and my Mom wants a pair of earrings, so I'm thinking about those.


I also love hammering metal as I've mentioned many times before. I have added several yummy (yes, hammers can be yummy) Fretz hammers to my collection, and am having such fun using them. I think its interesting that the handles are made from a beautiful type of rosewood - maybe that's why my hammer likes to make roses!

The Fretz hammers just feel divine in your hand, and they even smell good! Now I want some stakes and a stake holder....don't even ask how much they cost!



Something else I'm exploring these days is making some new rings with vines, swirls and various embellishments on the shank.

Here is my first of the series - Renaissance Dream, with a deep cranberry colored garnet. This little ring is headed off to the Local Palette Gallery today, along with one of the roses, not sure which one yet.




So that's it for now. Still haven't finished the labradorite ring I started last week, I keep getting distracted - it's the jewelry-maker's attention deficit disorder popping up again!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that's incredibly beautiful work.

    Did you solder the swirls to the ring shank? And if so, how? I badly need to practice this, so any info would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! Hammer envy!!!! I want all those hammers!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I love your rings too!! Very pretty (still LOVE the hammers though! ROFL!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work...love that rose and the hammers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mirien,

    Yes, I did solder the swirls to the ring shank. They are 20g sterling wire, and I put them on the shank while it was flat and soldered them with pallions of hard solder. Then I prayed while I bent the shank - I was lucky, they didn't pop off, which is what I expected them to do, lol! I soldered the shank seam with medium solder. Hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha, Barrie, you're too funny! I'm the same way, it's all about the hammers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the kind words about the rose, Karen and Sassyglass!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl that rose is beyond beautiful! You do such lovely work. I am in love with your rings and your pendants and your earrings! Did I tell you I love your work! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very beautiful , pretty pendant!
    You're very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rose is just amazing ( and gorgeous!). Love the setting on the ring! And what an awsome collection of hammers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG - someone else with a Hammer collection. Last week I only "just" stopped Hubby from using one of my Frez Hammers to pit up pictures with!!! Arrrrghhh
    They've had a good workout recently as I've been making stacker rings :)
    I LOVE the rose its gorgeous

    Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the lovely comments about my rose, and it's so fun to see that I'm not alone with my love for hammers. Wow, Nicole - glad you stopped Hubby in time!!! Lol, my hammers get a workout on stacker rings, too - I make tons of them!

    ReplyDelete