Thursday, April 2, 2009

This week at the bench...

I decided that since my jewelry bench is not the prettiest sight in the world, I'd use my garden bench instead. It looks so different each week, I thought it would be a fun way to keep an ongoing diary of this year's garden. Those tulips went into my Sunday bouquet, and there is another batch almost ready to bloom. And my big bulb bed in front of my house is blooming its little heart out, too. Photos soon!

Inspired by all this spring beauty, I woke up yesterday morning with the solution to something I've been pondering for almost a year. (yes, my brain is a bit slow sometimes - I think I need some ginkgo or something!) I love lampwork, and I have a lot of great friends from Wet Canvas who make gorgeous beads, and I need a way to showcase them so I can buy more!

I bought these sherbet colored lovlies from Gwen of Valley Creek Studio last June(!!) and have been trying to figure out how to do them justice ever since. Impatient sort that I am, after waking up with the idea, I went straight downstairs still in my jammies and proceeded to make the pendant frame. Then I found that the wire was too thick for the Gwen's beads, so I put my beads from Shirley of Jumping Jack Glass on it. It still needs a bit if polishing and filing, plus a decision on the chain. I'd like to make a handmade loop-in-loop chain or perhaps beads. I'm thinking maybe amethyst and citrine beads would be stunning. Anyway, this one will be called Spring Celebration, and I can't wait to get it finished!

This has given me the idea now to build a custom frame based on the the inspiration I get from each set of beads that I use, so each piece will be one of a kind. The next one with slightly thinner wire for Gwen's sherbet beads is already forming in my head, and I can't wait to get to work on it while I'm working on customer orders. I'm finally getting efficient enough to work new pieces in between my ongoing orders, and not get too terribly behind - yay! Now if I can figure out how to work in bookkeeping, housework and gardening I'll be all set, ha ha.

That's it for now. Today is custom ring day after a quick batch of necklaces and earrings. Talk to you later!

8 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! Makes me wish I could do metal work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and beautiful design, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea, Cheryl! Can't wait to see where you take it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to frame those beads...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, I love the design of this piece! Can't wait to see more of these, and how you design around different beads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm excited to be able to finally start using my lampwork beads - and then buy more, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, what a great accent for those "Shirley" beads! Can't wait to see what develops for the Sherbert ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, amethyst and citrine would look fabulous with Shirley's gorgeous beads. I can't wait to see what you do with the delicious sherbet ones from Gwen. Your work is sooooo beautiful. I am glad you are finding time to make things YOU want, too. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete