Saturday, March 3, 2007

Sapphires...


Sapphire is my birthstone, and I have always loved the classic deep blue gemstones. Until I started using semi-precious beads to make jewelry, I had no idea that you could get sapphires (or rubies, emeralds, or any "precious" gemstone) in any other form than the standard transparent faceted gemstones normally seen in jewelry. I have since discovered that often the "lesser quality" semi-precious versions of these gems are quite beautiful in their own right. A good example of this is the milky aquamarine that I posted about earlier. Another good example is this lovely sapphire bead - a deep rich navy blue with interesting "flaws". I think it is gorgeous with classic freshwater pearls. I dream of being able to afford an entire string of sapphire beads, but for now, this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment